Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Maintaining bright nail polish in normal life

I like bright nail polish.  I also do a lot of gardening.  I'm talking pretty intensive gardening - pick-axe and shovel type gardening.  Bright nail polish shows chips easily.  What's a girl to do?  I've come up with a system that keeps my nails presentable all the time, even wearing bright polish.  The down-side?  Well, there's no such thing as a free lunch - my system requires daily attention.  Here's what I do:

Every evening when I'm on the computer after the kids have gone to sleep I fix up one hand.  I just look for chips and remove and re-polish any fingers that need it.  The next night I move on to the next hand.  Then it's on to the feet.  You get the picture.  It doesn't take that long because I'm only doing one hand at a time and usually there's only a couple of nails that have a chip.  Drying isn't a problem because I can type just fine with a wet nail without affecting the polish.

To try and avoid getting the chips in the first place I use a base coat (OPI Start to Finish), two coats of polish (currently Revlon Touch of Mauve) and a top coat (Seche Vite).  So I can usually keep my nails looking pretty without huge amounts of effort.

No comments: